Vehicle Break-In Prevention
The Beaver County Sheriff’s Office wants to work with you to prevent or reduce criminal activity. Thefts from Motor Vehicles are crimes in which thieves take valuables from parked cars. You can significantly reduce your chance of becoming victim by following a few simple tips.
- Whenever possible, park your vehicle in a closed and locked garage.
- Park in a well-lit area. Proper lighting can deter thieves and help you safely enter and exit your vehicle.
- Gated or secured parking doesn't mean you shouldn't lock up.
- In fact, thieves are counting on you NOT doing that.
- Always roll up your windows and lock your doors when you park.
- Remove anything from your vehicle that has personal information that identifies you. Vehicle maintenance receipts, store receipts, checks or anything with your name, address and phone number can provide enough information for a thief to commit identity theft.
- Remove your garage door opener, if possible, when parking outside of your home so you don't risk being a victim of burglary.
- Remove valuables when parking overnight.
- Packages and bags with store logos can be inviting targets. Secure them in the trunk, hide from view or remove them.
- Out of ordinary for your area.
- Out of the ordinary for the time of day.
- Someone looking into cars or trying dorr handles.
- Look for suspicious 'behavior', not suspicious 'people'.
- NEVER presume someone else has already reported the behavior.
If you have any questions, you can contact the Sheriff's Office at 435-438-2862.